Learn more about Mount Pleasant Group with our Frequently Asked Questions section.
- Expected death: call the doctor who was caring for the deceased person
- If sudden or unexpected death: call 911 or the local police. They will contact the coroner who will determine if the deceased can be released to the funeral home or if further investigation will be taken under the care of the coroner.
- Nursing staff will immediately arrange for a doctor, or coroner, to sign a death certificate. The doctor will tell you when it’s time to contact a funeral centre to transfer the deceased and to discuss next steps. Some facilities do not have the ability to shelter the deceased on site. You may call us at 1-800-408-6033 (available 24/7) to advise of the death and request that the deceased be transferred into our care.
- Executor(s) or court-appointed administrator
- Adult children (18 and over)
- Parents of the deceased
We require that all immediate next of kin be informed of the cremation. Should there be any objections to the cremation, we will not proceed with the cremation until an agreement is reached among the next of kin.
In some instances such as when a person is in the care of a palliative care physician, a “Funeral Transfer Service Form” will be issued by the attending Physician or Nurse Practitioner as a temporary measure until the “Medical Certificate of Death” is completed. The Funeral Director will coordinate with the appropriate medical professional.
Yes. You may choose to have a visitation, a funeral service with the casket present before the cremation, a memorial service after cremation, or a graveside service at time of burial. If these choices interest you, please contact our offices at
1-800-408-6033 to speak with one of our funeral representatives. Currently, our Online Cremation Arrangement web tool is not set-up to offer these services.
Yes, with permission of the land owner. Scattering on Crown land including land covered by water is permissible if it is unoccupied. For scattering on municipally-owned land, contact the local or regional municipality to check on any restrictions. Bear in mind that scattering outside of a cemetery may not provide a permanent memorial as the location may be sold, redeveloped, or have access restricted in the future. Note: Mount Pleasant Group offers a variety of available scattering options within its cemeteries.